August 13, 2014

Holla Door Mat DIY


I've been coveting this doormat for a while, but at $50 (for a doormat!) I couldn't justify spending the money.

SO what's a cash-strapped girl to do? DIY of course!

The supplies were cheap cheap and included:

  • IKEA TRAMPA Door mat ($9.99!)
  • Thick masking tape
  • Cardstock for the stencil (I resourcefully dumped out all the contents of a manila folder and used that!)
  • Black acrylic craft paint
  • stubby paint brush
Total= $9.99 as I had all of the other supplies on-hand! (well actually $63.44, as a trip to IKEA never involves only purchasing what you intended...)

I took the suggestion of Kristin of the HUNTED INTERIOR and typed out the letters in the Bebas font (available for free here) But you know what? I didn't even download it, I typed out the letters in the preview, took a screenshot and enlarged them in PowerPoint. (REBEL!)  For size, I used two pages with two letters on each. I just printed out a H, O, L and A (knowing I could use the L stencil twice). So each letter was about 8 inches tall.


Once I had the letters printed, I taped each page to the manila folder, leaving them intact made sure that my spacing would be right on the door mat. I cut out all black out had my stencils. Don't forget to cut out the middle of the O and A, it won't be attached but you can tape it on after.

I measured the door mat and found the middle and placed the first L in the middle and taped the manila folder securely to the doormat with masking tape. Get as close as you can to the letter, even taping the openings to the letters next to it.

 
 
 
After securing the stencil, lightly tap the brush up and down on the doormat and lightly on the edge of the stencil to make a crisp line. Apply pressure to the stencil against the door mat as you work on the edges. Make sure you are fully saturating the door mat with the paint. You'll feel like it's bleeding behind the stencil, but it's not!


(aerial view of the situation)
 
You can work on the H, O, and first L then let it dry slightly. Shift the folder to the right to work on the second L then A. I went over the middle sections of the letters a little bit more after removing the stencil to get the letters nice and dark. Let dry and then relish in your craftiness and the fact that you saved $40!


 
I'm so totally delighted each time I walk through my door! 




3 comments:

  1. What does "holla" mean? If you intended to write hello in Spanish, then it is "Hola".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol no holla was intended, it is an informal greeting: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=holla :)

      Delete
  2. What does "holla" mean? If you intended to write hello in Spanish, then it is "Hola".

    ReplyDelete